Past meetings 2019
March 18th (AGM)
- Alison Smith - Western Australia comes to the Eden Project - Alison is a horticulturalist is Horticultural Coordinator at the Western Australian Botanic Gardens. She was part of the team who in 2017 went to the Eden Project in Cornwall, England to help set up the Western Australian Exhibit in the Mediterranean Climate Zone
March 18th (AGM)
- Sue McDougall - From Welder to Radio Presenter - Much loved media personality Sue McDougall will tell us about her eventful journey from teenage nursery owner, through chance media presenter, a career in horticulture
- Merilyn Ide -Fascinating Places – A Visual Feast - Will give us a glimpse of the sights of Morocco (think Marakesh, Casablanca, Fez, the Atlas Mts and Rabat), Faye Smith will introduce us to Samares Manor on Jersey Island. A whirlwind tour for your enjoyment.
- George Hoad - President of The Garden Clubs of Australia will give us a few words about the GCA.
- “Your Garden with Josh Byrne” - Dr Josh Byrne an environmental scientist and sustainability expert is better known to us as our local presenter of Gardening Australia. He will be providing us with ideas and inspiration to create a successful garden while doing our bit to help our Swan and Canning River Catchment.
- Leanne Oakley Native Orchids in Western Australia - Leanne and husband Keith spend many weekends in the bush, looking for and photographing birds and wildflowers, with a particular interest in native orchids. This presentation will include rare and unusual specimens.
- Linda Mitchell Travels with our Austin Healy - Linda says she ‘married’ an Austin Healy, which has since taken her on many overseas trips and all over Australia. Her travels have also allowed her to visit some wonderful gardens overseas. Listen to where love of a car can take you!
- Deryn Thorpe Gardens and Natural Wonders of Tasmania - Deryn is a fanatical gardener and a print and radio garden journalist who is passionate about communicating her love of gardening. She also works as a garden consultant and tour guide. Her Podcast All the Dirt which she hosts with Steve Wood won the Horticultural Media Association’s 2018 Audio Award.
- Denise Sorbara Plant Profile - Plant grower extraordinaire, Denise, will feature a plant growing in her own luxuriant garden, with advice on how to grow it in your garden.
- Daniel Varischetti - Tropical gardening in Perth.
- Ruth Robertson Gardens of the Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain - Ruth will give us an insight into the gardens of the Alhambra Palace complex, including the summer palace of the Generalife. They are a prime example of East Mediteranean tradition of garden-making.
- Kim Holbrook - Amazing Chile
- kingsley Gray - My Gardening Journey
- Digby Growns - New and Pipeline Plant Varieties from Kings Park Breeding Programme
- Merrilyn Mellis - Gardens of India
- Craig Woodroffe - Small Trees for our Gardens
Past meetings 2018
- Professor Kingsley Dixon - Native Plants, Japanese Maples and Beyond - My Garden above Waroona.
- Paul Ray - from Red Rock Nursery on Insectivorous Plants.
- Sabrina Hahn - The Effects of Climate Change and how it affects our gardening.
- Kim Holbrook - Plants and other Wonders of Peru - Part 2
- Ruth Robertson - Japanese Gardens .
- Lyn Chambers-Practical information on planting and growing bulbs in WA.
- Ruth Kempton - Head of the Flora Docents at the Zoo - Perth’s First Botanical Gardens.
- Toni Burbidge - After a Bushfire – Making a Difference
- Plant Profiles - by Member Experts
- David Edmonds - from Orchidup in Walpole
- Colin Scott - Community Gardens
- Deryn Thorpe - Italian Gardens
- Paul Kay - Moth Collecting
- David Cook - Cyber Safety and You
- Paul Beveridge - From Perth Hills Vege Co.
- Jackie Hooper - Australian plants for small spaces
- Merrilyn Mellis - Friendship gardens in Sydney
- Steve Wood - A Shakespearean Garden Featuring Plants from the 16thCentury
- GCWA 25th Anniversary
Past meeting 2017
- Sabrina Hahn - Community Gardens – A different perspective
- Calinda Anderson - (from Woodvale Fish and Lily Farm) Aquaponic Kits and small water features
- Joe Tassone from Tass1trees - Tropical fruit trees for Perth
- Ro Birrell - My Grandfather’s Garden
- Dr. Darryl Hardie - from Department of Agriculture and food - Pest and diseases ID and reporting
- Lorraine Douglas Ayrlies Garden in New Zealand
- Eric McCrum - Wild flowers of WA
- Tim Jenkins - Looking after your physical health in the garden
- Frances Docherty- Tasmanian Travels
- Deryn Thorpe - Gardens of Victoria
- Kim Holbrook - 'Plant and other wonders of Peru'
- Lorraine Piercy and Sue Braidwood - 'Singapore Slingers'
- Bob Melville - New release Roses
- Steve Wood - 'Why Organic Matters'
Past meeting 2016
February 15th / 2016
- Andrew Hall -- Holmes Road Whole- Colourful Plants Flowering in Perth
- Cynthia Mahony / Florence McRae -- Cairns, Tropical Gardens.
- Scott Robinson – Zephyranthes Nursery, 78 Great Northern Hwy, MIDLAND.
- Scott will speak about “Suitable Plants for our Climate”.
- Jan Russell-Brown & Ruth Robertson -- Alaska. A quirky little garden .
- Felicity’s Garden – Penny Morgan will talk on growing Olives. Olive Oil, Tapenades & Dukkah
- Debra Pearson -- DSATCO Lupin Mulch and Decorative Worm Farms. Both are a must have for your garden.
- Kevin Collins – Mt Barker Banksia Farm – The only place in the world where you will find 79 species of Banksia.
- Matthew Landers - Flower arranging - Matthew runs his own floristry academy where he trains florists and runs courses for members of the public
- Deryn Thorpe – Deryn will speak about “Autumn Foliage and Colour in the garden.
- Jan Russell-Brown -- Plants for a purpose
- Julie Kinney – The Garden Wanderer - Julie is returning to talk about her new book
- Ben Mayo - Plant profile
- Simon Briggs- Sales representative from Baileys
- Ruth Robertson – Bodnant Gardens
- Mark Tucek from HortBiz –Tucker Bush Plants. The new range of bush food plants.
- Daniel Baker Assistant Manager Facilities and Environment at Perth Zoo - Creature compost.
- Kim Holbrook - The Huntington gardens
Past meeting 2015
Past meeting 2015
16th March - AGM
- Lorna Barnett and Cathy Cocks -- Haughty Culture -- An entertaining presentation on Garden Design and Landscaping.
- Nieve Smyth -- Photos taken from 8 Botanical Gardens
16th March - AGM
- Julie Kinney -- Armchair Travelling in the UK
- Nigel Thompson -- Walled Gardens
- Ruth Robertson and Jan Russell Brown -- Butchart Gardens in Victoria, Canada
- Darren Senior from Garden Solutions -- Landscaping your gardens
- Cynthia Mahony -- Different Gardens from my tour of England, Scotland, Ireland and Europe.
- Paul Kay from Forrestdale Garden Centre -- Beautiful Cliveas
- Merrilyn Mellis -- The Other Chelsea
- Jean Evans -- Camellias.
- Frances Docherty -- Photos from the S.W garden tour.
- Ben Mayo -- Plant profile Ipomoea.
- Gemma McQuade from Yates and Deryn Thorpe -- will do a joint talk on “Keeping Your Garden Looking Good: Fertilizers, Soil Improvement and Tricks of the Trade” This is a good topic for discussion as “2015 is the Year For Improving The Soil.”
- Rachel Davison -- Fruit Fly Control.
- Digby Growns -- is a plant breeder from Kings Park, and will do a presentation on “New Varieties and Future Varieties” of some of the plants produced at Kings Park. Digby will also show some of the special new Grevilleas.
- Faye Smith -- A power point presentation of Gardens in Europe which Faye has visited on her travels.
- Jan Russell Brown -- will talk about wind tolerant plants.
- Dr David Henderson -- “Birds and Plants”. David Henderson is a cactus grower, teacher, an avid bird watcher and International traveler. David is also a member of the Cactus and Succulent Society.
- Kim Holbrook -- Xilitla (pronounced Hay-lit-la) A little bit of mystery!!!
- Bob Hunter -- Succulents.
- John Burt -- Plant profile – Pawpaws.
Past meeting 2014
17th - February
17th - March
21st - April
19th - May
- Eric McCrum - Frogs in the Garden
- Ruth Robertson - Insel Mainu Garden, Germany
17th - March
- Janine Mendell -- Small Gardens
- Jacques Maissin - Flora and Fauna in Bali
21st - April
- Debra Pearson -- “Chooks”
- Ben Mayo -- Tropaeolum Azureum/Tricolour (Nasturtium)
19th - May
- Kathy Bafile -- Smarty Plants
- Merrilyn Mellis -- Gardens by the Bay (Singapore)
- Charles Otway -- Permaculture
- Nieve Smith -- The Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show
- Kim Noonan -- Supporting our local Nurseries
- Ruth Robertson -- Green Manure
- John Cole -- Beautiful Camelias; Supporting our local nurseries
- Len Burton -- How to care for Kangaroo Paws
- Steve Woods -- How to keep bees in the home garden
- Matija -- A plant profile "Matija's Choice"
- David Venning -- The Importance of Seed Collection
- John Burt -- Gardens of Japan and Japanese Culture
- Derryn Thorpe -- 2014 Garden Tour to England, Italy and France
- George Abbott -- New Products from Fertiworx
Past meeting 2013
18th - February
7th October - AGM
- Matthew Lunn - Landscape by Design
- Merilyn Ide Travellers Tales: France, Turkey, Italy and Greece
- Margy Clema - salvias for all occasions
- Pamela Turton - Garden Designers at the Garden Design Fest - (Mardi Gregory assisting)
- George Abbott -- Fertilizers
- Roger Broinowski -- Geraniums/Hibiscus
- Matija Vassiliou -- Plant Profile -- Rangoon Creeper
- Chris/Matija -- Gardeners’ Market
- Tim Parker -- Wicking Beds/Vegies/Permaculture
- Deryn Thorpe -- Roses for Pots
- Plant Profile -- Lepenchinia Salviae
- Josh Byrne -- New Book/Signing
- Ruth Robertson -- Keukenhof Second Hand Book Sale
- Ben Mayo -- plant Profile -- HOLMSKIOLDIA TAITENSIS. It's quite a rare plant and very pretty
- Helen Gryzb -- Open Gardens New Season
- Merrilyn Mellis -- Miserden Park Gardens/Gloucestershire
- Second Hand Book Sale
- Lisa Passmore -- New seasons plants for SPRING
- Kim Holbrook -- Succulents
- Plant Profile
- Steve Woods -- Homemade Compost/ Micro Greens
- Cynthia Mahony -- Victorian Gardens
- Ian Stannard -- Plant Profile
7th October - AGM
- Trevor Nottle - Special Guest Plants suitable for Medierannean Climate/Heritage Roses
- Josh Byrne - Special Guest
- New Book Signing
- Christmas Celebration
Past meeting 2012
20th - February
- Rex and Jessie Hardy – Succulents and More
- Ruth Robertson - Plant Profile
- Andrew Hall - Hope Valley Nursery Geraniums and Pelargoniums (New Survivor Range and various others)
- Cynthia Mahony - Member - A Station Yarn
- Jacques Maissin – Member - Plant profile (Michelia Champaka and 2 species of Pandan)
- David Pooley - Fuschias •Lyn Chambers - Tulips With A Difference
- Matija Vassiliou - Member - Report from the Melbourne International Flower Show
- Matthew Lunn - The Education of a Gardener and Power point display of Landscaping
- Anita Emery (Member) - Plant Profile - Ginger
- David Proudmore - Swan Valley Gourmet Fungi - Mushrooms
- Kim Fletcher - Begonias
- Cheryl Holmes - Hydroponics
- Len Burton - Kings Park in Spring
- Harlen Henderson - Plants4Perth on-line nursery
- Lorraine Douglas & Kim Holbrook- Members - Cactus
- Max Crohurst - Kings Park Grevillias
- Deryn Thorpe - Member - Five Years - five favourite fancies
- Neville Passmore - Biowise Compost
- Matija Vassiliou - Member - plant profile and Auckland Botanics